The backyard is an inviting place to eat, drink and play when the weather is nice. It’s also the perfect spot to entertain. Before guests arrive, make sure your landscape is ready to party.
From lighting and accessories to décor and music, there are simple things you can do to prep your outdoor area before guests arrive. Don’t worry about pressure-washing the deck. Choose what is most important to you, with the time you have.
7 Steps to Prep for a Party:
- Dress up your porch, patio or deck with potted plants. For a unified look, remove them from their nursery pots and re-plant them in matching or coordinating containers. Add additional potting soil, if needed. Hang baskets of colorful flowers and foliage from hooks or place in basket stands.
- Add an attractive outdoor rug. Rugs define spaces and also disguise worn or tired decks and patios.
- Provide cooling shade with a canopy, sun sail or outdoor patio umbrella if your party is during the daytime. An umbrella with lights takes the party from day to night. Choose one with built-in solar-powered lights or string your own.
- Drape strings of outdoor lights from your porch ceiling, wrap them around deck railings or hang them from tree branches for additional lighting.
- Add music to the party with outdoor speakers. Wireless speakers let you listen to music from your smartphone, tablet or other devices.
- Mow the grass, edge driveways and sidewalks, and add fresh mulch to thin spots in beds and borders. Give shrubs a trim.
- Install lattice or trellis panels to hide trash cans, a bare wall or other eyesores.