Dreaming of spring? Plant carefree flowering annuals for a low-maintenance garden. They’re easy to take care of, making them a great choice for busy lifestyles.
Plenty of options come as ready-made planters with one flowering annual variety or several, such as Vigoro Drop-N-Blooms. Or, just choose your favorite flowering annuals from this list and start your garden today.
Plant these top 5 annuals for instant beauty
1. Petunias. A favorite among gardeners, petunias come in a spectrum of colors and work well in almost any sunny location. Dress up your window boxes or select hanging baskets filled with these colorful beauties. Easy peasy.
2. Pansies. Plant pansies for weeks of color. Try Cool Wave pansies, which are hardier than standard pansies. They’re tolerant of the cold and the heat and will typically last until late spring or summer in most regions.
3. Zinnias. These easy-going flowers bring a fiesta of color to your garden. Start zinnias from seed or find flowering plants at your local The Home Depot Garden Center. You’ll find shades of yellow, orange, pink and red on sturdy stems.
Cut zinnias also are a favorite for fabulous-looking flower arrangements right from your garden.
3. Marigolds. Marigolds contrast well underneath other perennials and ornamental grass in sunny locations. They also ward off mosquitos – plant them under your tomatoes to keep the insects at bay. See our article on natural mosquito control.
5. Impatiens. For shade, you can’t go wrong with impatiens. Their flower power keeps shady spots nice and bright for lasting color until the first cold snap.
Find out how to plant and care for your annuals and learn about getting the most out of your annuals with these ideas.
Looking for more great gardening ideas? See our stories:
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!