Our last quiz tested how much you really knew about Labor Day. Here are the answers:
1. The 2012 National Symphony Orchestra’s free Labor Day concert will be held on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol.
2. Oregon was the first state to declare Labor Day a holiday.
3. Burgers are the most popular food we grill.
4. Corn is the most popular side dish we grill.
5. According to tradition, Labor Day is the last day to wear white.
Were you right? A tip of our straw hat to Garden Club member Andrea, who was the first person to guess correctly.
Ready to match wits again? Here goes–and resist that urge to look these up on Google!
Since fall is the time to plant cool season crops, we’ve got some quotes about vegetables for you to identify. Who said:
1. “I do not like broccoli. And I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli.”
A. President Barack Obama
B. President George W. Bush
C. President Bill Clinton
D. President George H.W. Bush
2. “… I love broccoli. I love fresh beets. It’s not all about the fried chicken and the biscuits.”
A. Colonel Sanders of KFC
B. Paula Deen
C. Elvis Presley
D. President Jimmy Carter
3. “An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh.”
A. Jerry Seinfield
B. Will Rogers
C. David Letterman
D. Bill Cosby
4. “The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.”
A. Paul Cezanne
B. Carrot Top, American comedian
C. Marie Antoinette
D. Maximilen de Robespierre, French politican and lawyer
5. “Radishes grow just about anywhere. People think, ‘Oh it’s just a radish.’ But radishes are delicious, and people don’t think of cooking them.”
A. Chef Emeril Lagasse
B. Rachael Ray, of the Food Network
C. Martha Stewart
D. Chef Jamie Oliver
BONUS QUESTIONS – You’re on your own with these–no multiple choice!
6. What was the name of the hit song Booker T. and the M.G.s recorded in 1962 about a certain root crop?
7. What’s the name of the song about leafy greens that American Idol winner Fantasia Barrio performed on the show? (Hint: she later recorded it on her album, Back To Me.)