The fastest way to spruce up front porches, decks and patios is with containers filled with heat-loving, colorful flowers. For a quick splash and guaranteed success, buy ready-made containers that reward with nonstop blooms for months. Or get creative and personalize containers with favorite flowers, grasses and foliage.
GET WOW NOW WITH READY-MADE CONTAINERS:
- Buying for sun or shade? Select a ready-made container that suits your light conditions.
- Once home, soak container in a bucket of water or with a hose.
- Slip new container into existing pot and hide edges with decorative moss.
- Or remove flowers from the pot and replant into your favorite container.
- Fertilize per directions, if needed.
- Water when dry.
SHOW OFF YOUR PERSONAL STYLE:
- Buying for sun or shade? Select plants that suit your light conditions.
- Choose tall plants for the back, mounding for the middle and trailing for over the edge.
- Remove old plants from containers and compost. Clean the containers.
- Soak plants in a bucket of water or with a hose.
- Fill container 3/4 full with pre-moistened potting mix containing a slow-release fertilizer.
- Play with placement of plants.
- Remove plants from original containers, loosen roots and plant.
- Top with potting mix, gently pressing down. Water and let soil settle.
- Mulch with decorative moss or pebbles to retain moisture.
- Water when soil is dry.
If you’re using a large container, fill the bottom 1/3 with filler materials like aluminum cans, plastic containers or packing peanuts.