The fastest way to spruce up front porches, decks and patios is with containers filled with heat-loving, colorful flowers. For a quick splash and guaranteed success, buy ready-made containers that reward with non-stop blooms for months. Or get creative and personalize containers with favorite flowers, grasses and foliage.
Get Wow Now with Ready-Made Containers:
1. Buying for sun or shade? Select a ready-made container that suits your light conditions.
2. Once home, soak container in a bucket of water or with a hose.
3. Slip new container into existing pot and hide edges with decorative moss.
4. Or remove flowers from the pot and replant into your favorite container.
5. Fertilize per directions, if needed.
6. Water when dry.
Show Off Your Personal Style:
1. Buying for sun or shade? Select plants that suit your light conditions.
2. Choose tall plants for the back, mounding for the middle and trailing for over the edge.
3. Remove old plants from containers and compost. Clean the containers.
4. Soak plants in a bucket of water or with a hose.
5. Fill container 3/4 full with pre-moistened potting mix containing a slow-release fertilizer.
6. Play with placement of plants.
7. Remove plants from original containers, loosen roots and plant.
8. Top with potting mix, gently pressing down. Water and let soil settle.
9. Mulch with decorative moss or pebbles to retain moisture.
10. Water when soil is dry.
If you’re using a large container, fill the bottom 1/3 with filler materials like aluminum cans, plastic containers or packing peanuts.
- Optional: Slow-release fertilizer
- Optional: Water-storing crystals
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!