Serves 4 to 6
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 pounds Swiss chard
- Pinch of sugar, if desired
- In a 5-quart saucepan, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add fresh breadcrumbs and a pinch each of coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook, tossing, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside in a bowl; wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Slice Swiss chard crosswise, 3/4 inch thick, keeping stems separate from greens.
- In pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high. Cook stems, stirring, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add greens; cover and cook over medium-low until wilted, 5 minutes. Uncover; cook, stirring, over medium-high until pan is dry, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; add a pinch of sugar, if desired. Top with breadcrumbs.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!