As the official kickoff to summer and grilling season, Memorial Day is also a great time to tidy up gardens. This week, pull weeds, apply weed preventer, and mulch around your plants. Don’t forget to add bright annuals to your garden beds.
So, before you get your party on, clean up not only your house, but your garden as well.
Spruce Up in 7 Easy Steps:
- Rake leaves out of garden beds and borders. Some leaves will decay in place, but others are too fibrous. Shred or leave them whole and place in a compost pile. Over the summer, leaves and other debris will turn into black gold.
- Pull weeds and discard. Afterward, apply weed preventer.
- Mulch over weed preventer with shredded bark, compost or other biodegradable mulch. Don’t use rubber mulch for garden beds. It’s good for playgrounds, but is disastrous for soil.
- Feed your lawn a dose of balanced nitrogen fertilizer several days before your party. This ensures your lawn will be at its most green.
- Buy annual flowers and use them in borders for a spot of bright color. Choose heat-loving flowers that will bloom all summer.
- Assemble or buy ready-made containers and place by front door and at focal points.
- Buy new pillows for your patio furniture so your home looks its best when friends come over.