Roasting asparagus at a high temperature concentrates its flavor and guarantees a tender—but not mushy—texture. To ensure crunchy crumbs, sprinkle them on just before serving.
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle with oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 18 to 20 minutes, then transfer to a platter.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko, and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice and zest. Season with salt.
- Top asparagus with breadcrumbs, and garnish with lemon.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!