For scrumptious, dark, crispy, skin, use a shallow roasting pan (that means three inches deep or less). Deeper pans trap more steam, which keeps meats from browning well.
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package cut-up whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 1 bunch asparagus (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Place potatoes and half the butter in a roasting pan; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until potatoes are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Scatter asparagus, lemon, remaining butter, and thyme around chicken. Roast until asparagus is tender and chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 15 minutes. Serve chicken, vegetables, and lemon drizzled with pan juices.