It’s tradition to send Mom flowers on Mother’s Day. This year, give her a spring and summer full of blooms with these last-minute gardening gift ideas.
5 GIFT IDEAS FOR THE GARDENING MOM:
- A reliable pair of bypass pruners makes easy work of trimming branches and tough plant stems. Prices range from $15 to $30.
- Every vegetable gardener needs a pair of garden shears. These shears are designed to comfortably and cleanly cut tender plant stems. A great pair of garden shears costs under $15.
- Gloves get a workout in the garden and gardeners can never have too many. Look for a waterproof pair. Gardening gloves range from $10 to $40. If Mom is a rose gardener, look for long rose gloves that protect wrists and forearms.
- Pick up your favorite seed packets, and a terra cotta pot and add garden tools like a hand cultivator and trowel. Depending on the tools you choose, this gift can be put together for as little as $20. You can upgrade the gift with a Home Depot gift card and a pretty bow.
- After the traditional breakfast (or brunch) in bed, present Mom with a gift card then head to The Home Depot Garden Center to fill a garden cart with bedding plants and hanging baskets.
As Mother’s Day draws near, remember that with a Home Depot gift card and expert advice from the Garden Club, you will make Mom’s day bloom.
give these EASY ideas a try with help from the Garden Club:
1. Make a gardening Mom’s Day birdhouse planter filled with succulents. Get the step-by-step instructions to create your very own version.
2. The floral hurricane planter can be made with just $30 worth of materials. This is a great project for kids to create, and depending on how you decide to decorate the terra cotta pot, it can be completed in an afternoon.
3. A lovely dish garden can be created for as little as $25. Follow the step-by-step instructions for a pretty dish garden filled with anthurium and African violets.
4. Is Mom a birdwatcher, too? With some DIY know-how, you can create our Garden Club outdoor birdhouse planter and fill it with warm-weather blooms like impatiens, begonias, petunias and vinca. Order a birdhouse online and have it shipped for free to your local store. Build a tray of pressure-treated lumber, add the birdhouse and some seasonal blooms, and wait for the birds to visit their new garden. Total cost for the project is about $60.
5. Put together a whiskey barrel planter and fill it out with lush flowers. Total cost for the whiskey barrel planter is from $70 to $100, depending on the size and material of the container and the plants used.
6. If you’re looking for planter ideas for your mom, you can choose from a fragrant planter with flowers and herbs, a chef’s bowl, or if you’re pressed for time, just pick up a ready-made Drop-n-Bloom arrangement from The Home Depot Garden Center that you can pop in a pretty urn or other container.