With these icy pink drinks, your summer celebration will be made in the shade.
Everyday Food, July/August 2008
Yield: Serves 8
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ medium seedless watermelon (about 9 pounds), rind removed, flesh cut into chunks
- 1 cup vodka (optional)
1. Squeeze lemons into a large pitcher; add squeezed lemon quarters.
2. Add mint and sugar; mash with a wooden spoon until mint is bruised and sugar is dissolved.
3. In a blender, puree watermelon in batches until smooth; pour through a fine-mesh sieve into pitcher (you should have about 8 cups of juice). Stir to combine. (Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days.) Add vodka, if using; serve over ice.
Grow your own watermelons with MSL Watermelon Seeds!
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!