Yield Serves 4
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Banyuls vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 4 medium red beets, scrubbed well and trimmed
- 1/2 bunch plus 2 stems fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups watercress or baby mesclun
- 1/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine shallots, 2 tablespoons oil, and vinegar in a bowl.
2. Line a piece of foil with parchment.
3. Place beets and 1/2 bunch thyme in center, drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Fold, crimping edges to seal, place on a baking sheet, and roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour. Let beets cool slightly, then peel. Cut beets into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
5. Place Parmesan, cream, and remaining 2 stems of thyme in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Gently simmer, stirring often, until cheese melts and dressing is thick, about 5 minutes. Discard thyme.
6. Place beets on a serving platter. Drizzle with warm dressing, top with greens, then drizzle with shallot mixture. Sprinkle pistachios on top and serve immediately.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!