Try making something new this holiday season with this sweet potato and carrot puree. This dish is sure to become a crowd favorite for the holidays. Using sweet potatoes and carrots fresh-picked from your garden or from a store, this dish comes packed with Vitamin A (from beta-carotene) and B6 and much more.
On your holiday table, sweet potato and carrot puree is an easy side dish option. It’s also a less sweet option than the sweet potato holiday dish with marshmallows. Subtle hints of aromatic cardamom set this dish apart from others. For the recipe, you’ll need a blender or food processor to puree all the ingredients together and an oven-proof baking dish.
Recipe: Cardamom Sweet Potato and Carrot Puree
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled (OPTIONAL: Peeled baby carrots can be substituted)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the bottom and sides of an oven-proof baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Measure 4 cups of water and set aside.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 3/4-inch slices.
- Cut carrots into 1-inch lengths.
- Add sweet potatoes and carrots to stock pot with bouillon cube and boil water. Cook until softened.
- When fully cooked (a fork enters easily), drain the sweet potatoes and carrots, making sure to reserve some of the chicken stock.
- Now take your blender and puree the sweet potatoes and carrots with butter and cardamom in batches. Use leftover chicken stock to thin as needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the puree mixture into the baking dish.
- Stir in sour cream to mixture until blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- When you pull this delicious dish out of the oven, let it cool slightly, then garnish with thyme from your herb garden.
- Serves six to eight.