To satisfy a hungry crowd, serve this with white or brown rice in place of lettuce.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 small white onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus leaves for serving
- 1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to skillet and cook until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
2. To skillet, add 1 teaspoon oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Add cooked shrimp and toss to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Divide lettuce among four plates. Top with shrimp mixture, carrots, and cilantro leaves. Drizzle with dressing.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!