Here’s a delicious way to ward off cold weather: Serve hot cider spiced like an apple pie. Season your cider with the same spices you would use in a pie — cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg — then heat it up. If you’d like, pour in brandy for adults. Add a cinnamon stick to each mug for stirring.
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 1/4 quarts apple cider
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 7 whole cinnamon sticks, (6 sticks for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Calvados, or other brandy (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cider, sugar, spices, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; pour in brandy, if desired. Strain into a pitcher; discard solids. Serve in mugs, garnished with cinnamon sticks.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!