- 25 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) mild lager beer
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or large (5-quart) heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, chipotles, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until mixture has begun to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beef, and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, beer, and beans. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook over medium heat until chili has thickened slightly and beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
To Learn More: http://www.marthastewart.com/315258/30-minute-chili