- 25 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) mild lager beer
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or large (5-quart) heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, chipotles, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until mixture has begun to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beef, and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, beer, and beans. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook over medium heat until chili has thickened slightly and beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
To Learn More: http://www.marthastewart.com/315258/30-minute-chili
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!