Casually adorned with colorful fallen leaves, a simple grapevine wreath is illuminated by tea lights set inside mini-pumpkin holders. Suspended from a ceiling hook, it gives a warm, rustic atmosphere to a front porch. To make the glow last, light the candles just before your guests arrive.
Tools and Materials
- Grapevine wreath
- Wax pencil
- 6 miniature pumpkins
- Small knife or serrated carving tool
- Spoon or looped fleshing tool
- Brass ball chain, (BRA824), Metalliferous
- Brass couplings for ball chain, (BRA831), Metalliferous
- 25-gauge annealed iron wire, (IR4760), Metalliferous
- S hook
- Florist’s wire
- Votive candles
- Leaves and berries for embellishment
1. Using a tea light as a guide, trace a circle in wax pencil on top of 6 miniature pumpkins, then cut out with a small knife or serrated carving tool. (For safety, always wear heavy work gloves when using sharp tools.) Remove top, and scoop out insides using a spoon or looped fleshing tool.
2. Make a hanger from three equal lengths of ball chain (chain lengths will vary, depending on desired height). Attach brass couplings to each end of each chain. Gather three chain ends together, and slip an S hook through the holes in the couplings. Join the other ends of the chains to the grapevine wreath by passing florist’s wire through the coupling and winding the wire around wreath form, spacing chains equally around the wreath’s periphery.
3. With an awl, make two holes 1 inch apart through the bottom of each pumpkin, bend an iron wire into a U shape, then thread it through from the inside. Wrap wire around wreath form, and twist underneath to secure. Fit votive candles inside pumpkins after they are wired in place. Decorate wreath by inserting stems of fallen leaves and berries (we used pear, maple, and oak leaves, and bittersweet berries).
The key to hanging pumpkins so they are balanced is to use three equally spaced suspending wires. If you need more than three wires for hanging tiers (as in the cranberry chandelier), use multiples of three to keep the fixture steady.