Everyone loves berries, including birds and animals. Take action this year to ensure the fruits of your labor don’t get eaten by someone other than you. A little protection keeps berries thriving season after season.
Protect with Mesh Netting:
- If birds and deer are a problem, cover bushes with netting after fruit appears.
- Netting can be affixed to raised beds, secured to the ground or wrapped up and over your berry bushes or trees.
- Installing netting only takes a few minutes.
Protect with non-toxic Repellents:
- Spread granular animal repellant evenly around the perimeter of your berry bushes.
- Or, spray liquid animal repellant liberally on bushes and around perimeter of garden.
- It’s important to reapply as often as directed on package instructions and always after a heavy rain.
Animals are less likely to eat fruit when plants are in containers on the deck or patio.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!