Grasses are for more than just lawns! Ornamental grasses are among the easiest group of plants to grow. Some grow tall and narrow, others short and wide. Larger ones make dramatic focal points whereas smaller ones work as borders and groundcovers.
All provide texture, and, when they rustle in the breeze, movement and sound. Plus, ornamental grasses supply food and shelter for wildlife.
Plant Grasses Now to Get a Jump on Spring:
- Select ornamental grasses for your conditions. Most need full sun and well-drained soil. A Home Depot Garden Center associate can help you choose.
- Dig a hole as deep and twice as wide as the container.
- Remove plant from container, gently spread roots apart and place in the hole.
- Fill hole with soil, making sure the crown of the plant – where the stems meet the roots – is at soil level. Grasses planted too deep can rot.
- Water thoroughly and regularly until the ground freezes.
- After a few hard frosts, mulch around the plant.
Fall planting allows roots to establish in warm soil and cooler air temperatures.