Fall is a great time to change up your garden or containers. From mums and pansies to violas and ornamental kale, a new crop of fall flowers debuts during this season. These plants come in a rainbow of colors, laugh at cold weather and bloom continually for weeks and weeks.
Grab a trowel and your gardening gloves and keep the color coming.
HOW TO PLANT MUMS AND THEIR COOL FRIENDS:
- Cool-season plants are available for sun or shade; choose the best plants for each spot in your outdoor space.
- Ease your plants out of their pots and gently loosen roots.
- Dig a hole wider than, but only as tall as, the plant’s container. Use the empty pot as a guide.
- Put plants in holes but don’t plant too deep. The top of the plant should be level with soil.
- Fill with soil and tamp down gently to eliminate air pockets.
- Water thoroughly.
- Add mulch a couple inches deep, keeping it away from the base of the plant.
- Feed weekly to produce the most flowers.
Remove spent blossoms to encourage even more flowers.
- Mums (available at your local The Home Depot Garden Center)
- Flowering kale (available at your local The Home Depot Garden Center)
- Cool-weather annuals, such as pansies and violas
- Gardening gloves
- Trowel or shovel
- Watering can or hose