Whether you live in the country or the city, noise pollution can be overwhelming and distracting. Sirens, highway noise, lawn mowers and even crowing roosters are all noisemakers. You can camouflage these sounds, making your patio or garden an oasis of calm.
Easy Ways to Camouflage Noise:
- Choose a tabletop, wall or stand-alone birdbath or fountain. The bubbling covers noise with soothing sound. They are easy to assemble or install and also add a decorative element.
- Build a wall or privacy fence to capture sound before it hits your property.
- Create a screen with evergreen trees or trellis vines to obstruct your neighbors’ view and muffle sound.
- Cluster large potted plants around the edge of your deck or patio to create a garden room. Shrub roses, grasses and large tropical plants are all good choices, as are blooming annuals for color. These plants help deflect unwanted sound.
- Choose outdoor furniture with soft surfaces. Add pillows. Combined with the other ideas above, this helps reduce noise. It makes sitting in the garden more fun, too!