Knock down the pins and you could be a winner at Mölkky, an easy-to-make classic lawn game that’s fun for all ages.
Tools and Materials
- 2 1/4-inch dowel (or tree branch or trunk)
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Saw and miter box
- Sand paper or pad
- Number stencils
- Stencil adhesive spray
- Craft paint
- Stenciling brush
- Detailing brush
- With a pencil, mark a 7-foot length of 2 1/4-inch dowel (or tree branch or trunk) every twelve inches. Using a saw and a miter box, make a straight, 90-degree cut at each mark. Set aside one 12-inch length to act as the throwing pin .
- To create the pins (or skittles), mark the center of each of the six remaining 12-inch lengths. Using the saw and miter box, make a 45-degree cut through the center of each mark, for a total of 12 pins.
- Sand all cut edges of wood until smooth.
- Spray back of each number stencil with adhesive and affix to slanted face of each pin. With stencil brush and craft paint, use a pouncing motion to paint number onto pin. Each pin should be marked with one number from 1 to 12.
- Once completely painted, remove stencil and fill in any gaps (or bridges) from stencil with detailing brush.
- Let paint dry completely before playing game.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!