Knock down the pins and you could be a winner at Mölkky, an easy-to-make classic lawn game that’s fun for all ages.
Tools and Materials
- 2 1/4-inch dowel (or tree branch or trunk)
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Saw and miter box
- Sand paper or pad
- Number stencils
- Stencil adhesive spray
- Craft paint
- Stenciling brush
- Detailing brush
- With a pencil, mark a 7-foot length of 2 1/4-inch dowel (or tree branch or trunk) every twelve inches. Using a saw and a miter box, make a straight, 90-degree cut at each mark. Set aside one 12-inch length to act as the throwing pin .
- To create the pins (or skittles), mark the center of each of the six remaining 12-inch lengths. Using the saw and miter box, make a 45-degree cut through the center of each mark, for a total of 12 pins.
- Sand all cut edges of wood until smooth.
- Spray back of each number stencil with adhesive and affix to slanted face of each pin. With stencil brush and craft paint, use a pouncing motion to paint number onto pin. Each pin should be marked with one number from 1 to 12.
- Once completely painted, remove stencil and fill in any gaps (or bridges) from stencil with detailing brush.
- Let paint dry completely before playing game.