Delight your favorite mom this Mother’s Day with a homemade and refreshing lavender sugar scrub. This elegant gift comes together in a snap and will become a much-requested favorite.
Sugar scrub is a gentle exfoliant and the Vitamin E in the coconut oil repairs and rejuvenates the skin. To make, just stir together sugar and coconut oil and add lavender buds and drops of lavender essential oil. The buds can be dried from lavender plants in your herb garden or purchased.
Lavender is admired for its fragrance and color. This bushy perennial grows in USDA hardiness zones 5 to 9, but loves arid climates best, preferring full sun and well-drained soil.
Lavender does not like humidity, so plant in an open area with air circulation. In the Garden Center, look for Bonnie Plants varieties like Ellagance, perennial in zones 5 to 7, and Spanish Eyes Fernleaf lavender, perennial in zones 7 to 10. Lavender is deer-resistant and a good choice for container gardening.
Lavender Sugar Scrub Recipe:
Yield: 12 4-ounce jelly jars
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 25-30 drops lavender essential oil (depending on desired strength of fragrance)
- 4 tablespoons lavender buds from fresh lavender herb plants (see below for how to dry lavender)
- 12 4-ounce jelly jars or any size Mason jars
- In a bowl, stir together sugar and coconut oil.
- Add essential oil and lavender buds and stir until mixed.
- Scoop mixture into jars, seal and label.
How to Dry Lavender:
- Harvest lavender before the buds fully open.
- Pull flowers into a bunch and tie with a rubber band.
- Cut flowers just above the leaves.
- Dry lavender by hanging it upside down, out of the sun in a dark, dry place like a shed or garage, for up to a month.
How to Use Lavender Sugar Scrub:
Wash your skin with soap and water and rinse. Scoop a spoonful of sugar scrub and massage into skin. Rinse and dry.
More Mother’s Day Gift Ideas:
- 3 Ways to Make a Colorful and Fragrant Mother’s Day Planter
- Best Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts for a Gardener Mom
- Make a Succulent Wreath for Mother’s Day