Set the tone for an informal dinner with this easy-as-pie centerpiece. This pumpkin topiary glows against its collar of metallic leaves. It’s a table setting befitting of Thanksgiving or any fall soiree.
- Canvas drop cloth
- Batch of fallen leaves
- Copper metallic spray paint
- 4 4-inch terra-cotta flower pots plus saucers
- 4 baby mums (or one medium-sized one cut into four bundles)
- 3 pumpkins (medium, small and baby sizes)
- Package of 6 battery-operated votive candles
1. Cut the drop cloth to fit your table. For ours, we used three strips as runners and positioned them in a crisscross pattern. The edges have a tendency to fray, which could make for fabulous fringe.
2. Spray paint your leaves the metallic copper. Here, we used Magnolia leaves and ivy similar to a maple. You’ll need approximately 40 separate leaves. Let dry.
3. Arrange the copper leaves in a circular pattern in the middle of the table. Then stack the three pumpkins, largest to smallest. You may need to cut off two of the stems so that the pumpkins stack nicely.
4. Make two circles with the foliage on either end of the pumpkin topiary. Position three votive candles in the middle of each display.
5. Place a pot of mums at each place setting. Add plates, napkins, utensils and place cards.