Download a PDF of this project here: Lighted Holiday Sign How-To.
You will need:
- 3 strands of Martha Stewart Living™ 50 LED globe lights
- 24 inch x 36 inch piece of ½ inch medium-density fiberboard (MDF) (can be cut to order at The Home Depot)
- Downloaded template of choice: Joy, Noel, and Peace
- Carbon transfer paper
- Drill with 27/64 inch bit
- Eggshell paint (any color)
- 6-inch foam roller and tray
- 3 inch-wide strips of ½ inch MDF: 2 pieces 36 inches long, 2 pieces 23 inches long
- Wood glue
- “L” brackets
- Screwdriver bit
- 2 1-inch screw eyes or picture-hanging hardware
- Drill bit for screw eyes
- Download word template of your choice and print on 8 ½-by-11-inch paper. Tape the carbon transfer paper and template on top of each other on the MDF board. Template papers will need to be tiled and overlap to create the word. Mark X’s on each dot on the template.
- Drill holes through each X on the MDF board. Tip: Place a second piece of MDF board or other scrap board under the one you’re drilling for support.
- Sand the MDF for a smooth surface.
- Build a frame for the sign with strips of MDF sized to the width and length of the box. Glue to the back and sides of the sign with wood glue, then clamp on both ends. Let sit for 2-3 hours.
- Secure sides of box with “L” brackets, and screw them into place.
- Paint the board with color of your choosing. Let dry.
- Remove caps from light bulbs and push lights through holes. Replace caps on lights.
- Drill pilot holes. Attach two screw eyes to the top of sign for hanging from a signpost or attach picture hanging hardware to the back to hang on the wall.
- Hang and enjoy! Great for indoor or outdoor use.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!