How did you do on our last quiz? Here are the answers:
1. President George H.W. Bush; 2. Paula Deen; 3. Will Rogers; 4. Paul Cezanne; 5. Chef Emeril Lagasse; 6. “Green Onions;” 7. “Collards and Cornbread.”
Ready to match wits again? Here goes–and resist the urge to look these up on Google!
1. Approximately how many earthworms are in an acre of dirt? ( We don’t know if anyone has actually counted, but we’re going to use the answer supplied by the University of Illinois Extension Service.)
a. over a million
b. over 5 million
2. Let’s define “soil” as the stuff that plants grow in. Name at least 2 types of soil. Bonus points if you can name 3 or 4.
3. What’s the minimum number of years it takes to form one inch of topsoil?
4. True or false? A single spade-full of rich garden soil contains more organisms than are found above ground in the entire Amazon rain forest.
5. Perlite is an ingredient in most commercial potting soils. What is perlite?
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!