Hanging baskets quickly decorate any space and are easy to replace and refresh for a new look that changes with the seasons. Plus, hanging baskets make great gifts.
You can buy gorgeous, ready-made hanging baskets at the Garden Center or create one with your favorite colors to match your decor.
HOW TO DECORATE WITH A HANGING FLOWER BASKET:
- Find a space, inside or out, in the sun or shade that needs a pop of color.
- Go to your local Garden Center and pick out a hanging basket with colors and flowers you love.
- Follow the plant tag directions to know whether the flowers want sun or shade, and when and how much you need to feed and water.
- Hang the basket on a sturdy hook, and voilà.
- When the top of the soil is dry to the touch, water until it trickles out of the drainage holes.
- You can use a hanging basket in a container, too. Just cut off the hangers and pop it in a container for instant color.
HOW TO CREATE A HANGING FLOWER BASKET FROM SCRATCH:
- Select a hanging basket that suits your style.
- Choose a color scheme for your flowers.
- Pick 3 to 5 flowers for your basket. Read the plant tag and avoid flowers that grow taller than 12”. You can combine flowers with foliage or grass that cascades or mounds. Resist the urge to overfill since flowers will continue to grow.
- Fill the basket ¾ full with a potting soil with slow-release fertilizer.
- Remove the plants from their pots and loosen their roots. Never pull the plant out by the flowers or stems.
- Arrange the plants in the hanging basket.
- Fill in gaps with slow-release fertilizer and moisture-control potting mix and gently tap down. Let the soil settle.
- If you’re using potting mix without added fertilizer, feed with fertilizer. Follow the product directions to know when and how much to use.
- When the top of the soil is dry to the touch, water until it trickles out the drainage holes.
TIP NO. 1:
Don’t have time to water frequently? Use a potting mix with water-holding crystals.
TIP NO. 2:
Want a drought-resistant basket? Plant a variety of succulents.