Illuminate the winter months with fire and ice. An ice lantern is simple to make using an ordinary bunt pan filled and frozen with fruit and greenery.
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 15 minutes (plus time for ice to freeze)
- Bundt pan
- Greenery (Holly, Fraser, Pine sprigs)
- Fruit (sliced lime and orange, handful of cranberries)
- Small candle in jar
1. Using your knife, cut the lime and orange into thin slices. Using pruning shears, cut the greens into 2-inch pieces.
2. Place the fruit slices, cranberries and greens in the bottom of a Bundt pan. Add an inch of water and freeze.
3. Repeat step 2. You will be making three layers to avoid having the fruit float to the top.
4. Once frozen, run a little hot water on the bottom of the pan to remove the ice sculpture.
5. Place by the front door with a candle in the middle hole to welcome guests.
Special thanks to Home Depot Associate Grow2Girl for the project and pictures.
Preview image: Shutterstock/Pontus Edenberg
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!