Autumn Harvest Pie
- 7 baking apples (such as Rome, Granny Smith, or Cortland) peeled, cored, and sliced ½-inch thick
- 7 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and sliced ½-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- Pate Brisee
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper; set aside. Combine apples and pears in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, sugar, nutmeg, lemon juice, and zest, and mix. Add cranberries, and toss gently. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a rough 18-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Line a 12-inch pie dish with the dough.
- Transfer apple and pear mixture into pastry-lined pan. Dot the top with butter. Fold and overlap the pastry over the fruit. Brush pastry with cream. Sprinkle sugar lightly and evenly over the top of pie. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F; continue to bake until juices are bubbling, about 1 1/2 hours more.