It’s always a good idea to cut an eggplant right before you’re ready to use it, as the flesh discolors rapidly. If it’s fresh, it’s not necessary to salt eggplant before cooking.
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, coarsely grated, and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Heat grill to medium-high. Halve eggplants lengthwise; slice off enough from skin side so halves lay flat. Brush both sides of eggplant halves with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve sauce with grilled eggplant and lemon wedges, if desired.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!