The first time you spark up the grill in spring feels like the official end of winter. The sizzling smells of grilling kicks off barbecue season, and signifies that longer days and time spent outdoors are ahead.
Get warmed up for the season with ideas and tools that will help make grilling a breeze, so you can spend more time enjoying outdoor fun.
8 Ways to Get Inspired for Grilling:
1. Prep your grill
Begin the season by cleaning and preparing your grill. No matter the type of grill, you’ll want your grill in tip-top shape so you can spend more time cooking up some excitement. This guide shows you how to clean your grill properly and safely for all types of grills. For a quick cleaning, use a grill brush, such as the Nexgrill Combo Brush pictured above.
When your grill is ready to go, you’ll be ready to ignite and enjoy.
2. Get the most out of your grill
Brush up on ways you can use your grill before guests arrive so cooking will be a snap. Some of the most common types of grills include smokers, gas, electric and charcoal grills. Learn more about grill types.
Learn the best ways to start your gas grill. If you’ve got a taste for slow-cooked food, check out these ideas for using your smoker. Chargrilled food is a crowd favorite. Learn about the ways to start your charcoal grill.
3. No grill? No problem
There are plenty of grill options out there. Choose from compact grills for cooking in tight spaces, camping and tailgating, to monster-size grills that help you feed a crowd.
Take the guesswork out of your search. Learn more about types of grills before choosing one.
Check out the Traeger Eastwood 22 wood-fired pellet grill (pictured above). This workhorse lets you grill, smoke, bake, braise or roast your food on non-stick porcelain grill grates. A digital temperature controller helps you set your desired temperature.
4. Stay organized
Because you’ll be grilling at every chance, you’ll want to keep all your grilling tools at hand. This hanging grill shelf is an easy DIY project that holds grilling tongs, spices and herbs and other essentials. It also holds barbecue sauces and marinades.
5. Cook in style
Make cooking on the grill easier with the right grill accessories. Here’s a quick look at some items grillers can’t live without.
- Grill utensils. Flipping burgers or turning over your chicken, seafood or steaks at just the right time is an art. Your grill tools can help with that. Your food will flip with ease. A basting brush and skewers also are useful for grilling. Read about a chef’s favorite grilling accessories.
- Thermometers. From inexpensive to high-tech, grill thermometers help you keep track of food temperatures; some brands even offer the convenience of a smartphone app. Check out this range of grill thermometers to choose the one that’s right for you.
- Grill cover. When the party’s over, let your grill cool down then cover it until the next gathering. Keeping your grill covered will help it last longer.
- Grill mat. Stay comfortable underfoot when grilling. Use a grill mat to keep all the focus on the grilling at hand.
- Cast iron grilling. Heat up cast iron on the grill for searing your meats, fish, chicken and veggies. Cast iron can also be used to make delicious cornbread, cake and more on the grill. With so many uses on the grill, cast iron pans, griddles and stock pots are must-have grilling accessories.
- Outdoor dinnerware. Beyond the grill, try dinnerware sets in fun styles, colors and patterns made for outdoor use. Melamine is heavy-duty and holds the thickest steaks.
6. Fuel up
Have you ever run out of fuel in the middle of a get-together? Don’t let that happen to you. Get your grilling fuels before you barbecue. Let the flow of grilling fun stay on target by staying prepared with extra pellets, propane or whatever fuels your grill. For charcoal grills, stock up on Kingsford or Embers charcoal.
7. Keep fresh herbs on hand
When cooking on the grill, it always helps to have fresh herbs nearby.
8. Stay warm
Because grilling happens even on chilly nights, cook comfortably with a bit of extra heat. Stay warm with an outdoor patio heater nearby.