Get a jumpstart on spring with new inspiration for outdoor decor. With some fresh and fun ideas, you can turn up the style in almost any outdoor location, whether a patio, balcony, porch, entryway or deck.
“People want the whole house inside to flow with the outside,” says Sarah Fishburne, director of trend and design for The Home Depot. “Blues are huge this spring and there is a movement going on with plants and greenery.”
6 Ways to Punch Up Your Outdoor Decor:
1. Set a theme. When you go outside, retreat to your own haven. Create an outdoor space with a theme in mind so that you can escape the stresses of hectic everyday life. The wicker patio furniture above shows a “relaxing beach” theme. Follow this theme, or maybe your tastes run more toward lakeside or mountain lodge style.
2. Pops of color. When the time is right, celebrate the arrival of warmer weather by taking your entertaining outside. Set the scene with bursts of tropical colors, whether lanterns or outdoor cushions for your chairs or lounge sets, and set the patio dining table with cut flowers from your own garden. Then invite guests and let the fun begin!
3. Create the mood. Light up the nights and lead the way to outdoor fun. Start with outdoor walkway and path lighting so there’s always light under foot.
No yard? No problem. Hang up some string lights around your balcony or entryway and make every day festive.
4. Build a layered look. Of course you can go all out to get the look you desire, but you can also add layers over time. Start small with a conversation or bistro set, then add a few pieces each season. Little by little, your outdoor room can come together with decor pieces such as an outdoor rug, some throw pillows, poufs and ottomans and some potted plants.
5. Finishing touches. Don’t forget accessories in your outdoor room. A serving caddy, seen above, is both functional and stylish. When the party is over, you can always drop some succulents into the dividers and turn it into a planter until its next use.
Check out these other ideas for your entryway. When your outdoor space is pulled together, all you’ll need to do is invite guests or sit back and enjoy your outdoor room.