Fall is the time to rejuvenate front porches, decks and patios with the bronzy hues of autumn.
Cooler temperatures, shorter days and more rain mean less stress on plants and less maintenance for you.
Change out your current containers or treat yourself to new ones for a seasonal look.
For a Quick Change, Use Ready-Made Containers:
- Buying for sun or shade? Select a ready-made container that suits your light conditions.
- Once home, soak container in a bucket of water or with a hose.
- Slip new container into existing pot and hide edges with decorative moss.
- Or remove flowers from the pot and replant into your favorite container.
- Fertilize per directions, if needed.
- Water when the soil is dry 1” below the surface. Be sure each pot has excellent drainage and never sits in water.
Create Your Own Creative Combinations:
- Select plants that suit your light conditions.
- Choose tall plants for the back and trailing plants to spill over the sides. Fill in with colorful mounding plants.
- Remove old plants from containers and compost. Clean containers.
- Soak plants in a bucket of water or with a hose.
- Fill container 3/4 full with moistened potting mix containing a fertilizer.
- Remove plants from original containers, loosen roots and plant.
- Top with potting mix, gently pressing down. Water and let soil settle.
- Mulch with decorative moss or pebbles to retain moisture.
- Water when soil is dry.
- Remove spent flowers to keep containers looking full and vibrant.
Three Goof-Proof Planting Combos:
- Grasses, petunias and ornamental kale and cabbage
- Snapdragons, pansies and lobelia
- Grasses, ornamental peppers and calibrachoa
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!