Set the stage for Thanksgiving with easy decorating ideas for front doors, centerpieces and wreaths. Take your cue from autumn’s colors and decorate with natural elements in shades of gold, red, orange and brown. These ideas work indoors or out.
Welcome the Holiday with Thanksgiving decor:
- Hang wreaths made from grape vine, wheat sheaves, bittersweet or branches of autumn leaves.
- Drape garlands of dried or preserved leaves around the front door.
- Create arrangements using flowers from your garden, such as hydrangeas, sunflowers, black-eyed Susan, goldenrod, globe amaranth and lavender. Finish with foliage or herbs, and accent with rose hips, crab apples or cattails.
- Secure cornstalks and Indian corn to porch posts and banisters with burlap bows.
- Paint pumpkins and gourds with chalkboard paint and write festive messages on them.
- Turn a large pumpkin into a vase by carving out the center and inserting a fall flower plant such as a chrysanthemum or ornamental cabbage.
- Fill a decorative urn, galvanized bucket or container with branches of colorful leaves or branches of berries from plants such as Japanese or sugar maples, blueberry, burning bush, smoke bush, cotoneaster or beautyberry.