Winter container arrangements add color and interest outdoors during the holidays. Select hardy plants like evergreens, and look to Mother Nature for inspiration.
Spruce up container plantings with festive ornaments, twinkle lights and creative garlands. Explore the possibilities in the Garden Center’s holiday décor aisles.
Here are six holiday container planting ideas to get you started.
Plant up Holiday Containers:
- Green up containers. Dwarf evergreens are a festive choice that offer year-round color. Tuck in red winterberry stems, pinecones or holly berries for some quick yet elegant contrast.
- Light it up. String twinkle lights into potted plants and add a merry glow to any container arrangement. Pre-lit branches add height, balance and volume.
- Trim with fruit. Create a garland by stringing cranberries, dried apples or citrus onto sturdy twine. Wrap around a potted evergreen or boxwood shrub.
- Create layers. Choose hardy plants that withstand winter such as dwarf conifers, evergreens, ornamental grasses and shrubs. For example, plant tall grasses behind an evergreen shrub and add a few branches for texture.
- Think beyond basic. Choose different types of vessels to plant and decorate, such as an antique wheelbarrow adorned with ribbons and lights. Wrap plain containers in burlap and make a belt from ribbon for a rustic look.
- Use ornaments. Bring the cozy warmth of the indoors to the outdoor plantings, too. Visit the holiday decoration aisle of the Garden Center and select ornaments to deck your container plantings.