Outdoor spaces are an extension of the home, and the garden is an expression of your personality. By using tropical plants, colorful throw pillows and tabletop fountains, you can turn any area of your patio, deck or balcony into a private oasis.
Create a Cozy Hideaway:
- Choose 24” or larger lightweight containers. They’ll save your back when moving plants.
- Pick large plants that block your neighbors’ view such as shrub roses, tropical palms, banana trees or other small trees. Ultra-dwarf fruit trees or citrus smell lovely when they bloom and produce edible fruit. Before planting fruit trees, ask your Garden Center associate if they are self-pollinating or need a companion. Note: Some plants must be overwintered indoors.
- Define the area with a trellis or arbor. Plant annual vines like morning glories, cypress vine or moon vine. They are easy to grow from seed and clamber up a space in one season. The perennial American wisteria needs strong support; however, it isn’t as unwieldy as its Asian counterparts. A climbing rose, especially when planted with clematis, is a classic choice.
- Add outdoor furniture with plump cushions and accent pillows to soften your space. A tabletop fountain brings sound and movement. Throw down an outdoor rug to define the area and add a few outdoor lamps to set the mood.
- Install a drip irrigation system to keep your cozy hideaway blooming all summer long.