Got hot weather? No problem. You can create a show-stopping summer landscape with tropical and warm-season plants. Tropical plants are summer garden essentials. Whether they’re blooming or not, the foliage stands out on its own.
Top 7 summer Annual and Tropical Plants:
- Tropical hibiscus. Bold blooms from scarlet red to sunset orange to pale lavender laugh at hot temperatures.
- Elephant Ears. There are many varieties of elephant ears on the market. Grow your favorite in shade or partial shade.
- Joseph’s Coat. ‘Red Threads’ and ‘Little Ruby’ are stunning with bright, red leaves that mix well with white, yellow, orange and blue flowers.
- Firecracker flower. Orange crossandra is the color of sherbet and will thrive in hot conditions.
- Bat-face cuphea. This trailing plant with red and blue blooms looks very patriotic midsummer and doesn’t stop blooming until frost.
- Shrimp plant. In shades of red, yellow and even white, it brightens any landscape.
- Banana tree. Grown for its ornamental leaves, it makes a great centerpiece in a large container.