Wildfires are a threat to homeowners. Create a fire-safe environment on your property with one simple practice: Remove any flammable materials within 30 feet of your house.
- Prune lower tree limbs within 8’ of the ground so they don’t become “fire ladders.”
- Prune dead leaves and branches.
- Rake any dead vegetation from under the deck.
- Move resinous plants, such as culinary herbs, 30’ away from house.
- Replace flammable mulches with gravel mulches.
- Create “firebreaks” with brick or stone paths and patios.
- Move stacks of firewood and propane tanks 30’ away from house.
- Replace wooden patio furniture, play structures, etc., with non-flammable options.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!