A Christmas candle dressed up with silk holly leaves, dried flowers, and tiny silver decorations makes a great gift for a party host or hostess. It’s also a festive addition to your home.
Our arrangement is made with a scented Glade candle, but you can substitute an LED battery operated candle, if you prefer. Flower artist Ellen Bowman, who designed our project, says, “Place several candles throughout your home to make it smell wonderful for the holidays!”
Holiday Scented Candle
(dried mini red and white carnations)
- Glade 4 oz. scented candle
- 6” cork mat (available in some Home Depot Garden Centers)
- 1 pkg moss (any kind)
- 4 of any red and white dried flowers
- Design Master holiday red spray paint (available in craft stores)
- Optional: Design Master white spray paint (available in craft stores)
- Mini Christmas decorations such as glittery twigs, pine cones, tiny Christmas balls, etc. (available in craft stores)
- Silk or dried holly leaves or any green foliage (available in craft stores)
Place the candle in the center of the of the cork mat. (Don’t glue it down. Eventually you’ll need to replace the candle or the batteries, if you use an LED.) Fill the space between the candle and the cork edge with moss, spreading it out to cover the edge of the cork, and glue it down here and there. If you have glittery twigs or vines, wrap a few pieces all the way around the candle on top of the moss. Glue in place. Evenly space the 4 flowers, alternating reds and whites, and glue firmly. Fill in the spaces in between the flowers with mini Christmas decorations and glue down.
You’ll find more ideas for gifts and decor made from dried flowers in our Stretch Gardening series:
Special thanks to Ellen Bowman for her assistance with this series. Ellen has sold her dried arrangements at art shows and craft fairs all across New York and North Carolina. Visit her at Dry Your Own Flowers.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!