Garden pests spell trouble, and caterpillars and grasshoppers are among the main leaf-feeding pests to control in your landscape. Spot check your outdoor space regularly and fight leaf-feeding caterpillars and other pests today.
Identify the Culprits:
- See leaves chewed around the edges? Caterpillars are some of the most common and prolific garden pests.
- See leaves chewed almost to tatters? Once hatched, grasshoppers go through several growth phases, devouring plants at every stage.
How to Control Caterpillars:
- Hand-pick and drop caterpillars into a bucket of soapy water.
- Organic BTK is the most effective caterpillar management. It is safe for people, animals and other insects. Organic Neem-based insecticides provide good control, too. Always use according to label directions.
- If nothing else works and for severe infestations, use a stronger remedy, such as a pesticide with carbaryl, acephate and permethrin. Ask your The Home Depot Garden Center associate for help.
- For trees and shrubs, try a specific remedy for both types.
How to Control Grasshoppers:
- Grasshoppers are attracted to weedy areas and tall grass. Keep these areas mowed.
- Encourage birds, which find grasshoppers very tasty.
- Organic Neem-based insecticides provide good control. Always use according to label directions.
- In worst cases, use a pesticide with carbaryl, acephate and permethrin. Ask your The Home Depot Garden Center associate for help.
Create a habitat for birds and beneficial insects because they snack on these pests in our gardens and landscapes. Hang birdhouses and feeders near your vegetable garden. Make sure you offer a water source, such as a bird bath for your fine-feathered friends.
- Mild dishwashing liquid