This burlap leaf bag and garden kit will make a wonderful handmade gift for the gardener in your life.
You Will Need:
- 3 yards of open-weave natural (jute) burlap cloth
- Strong twine and needle, or sewing machine and cotton thread
- Wooden button or bead
- Linen strip
- Potting container
- Small flowerpots
- Assorted gardening items and tools (such as secateurs, garden gloves, and trowels)
- Evergreen clippings
Burlap Bag How-To
- Using 3 yards of burlap, sew the sides and bottom together with strong twine, creating a bag. If using a machine, fold fabric twice and use cotton thread. Make sure selvage edge is at the top of bag.
- Draw the string from the top of the bag and affix a button or bead onto the end of the string, creating a drawstring.
- Roll up burlap bag and tie with a linen strip. This bag can be used for compost throughout the winter. Keep leaves in it all winter long, allowing them to break down. The bag can be used multiple times until it begins to decompose.
Garden Kit How-To
- Place flowerpots in a potting container.
- Fill with various gardening items and tools. Include the burlap bag.
- Package with cellophane and ribbon.