This handy dandy surface folds out from the wall when you need it and disappears when you don’t. Perfect for entertaining, use as a sideboard for potlucks or as a bar.
- 5 pieces of wood recommended for outdoor use (such as cedar)
- Exterior primer
- Exterior latex paint
- One 6′ piano hinge (with included screws)
- Exterior-grade wood glue
- 3 shelf brackets (with any top nubs removed)
- 3 10″ piano hinges with an open width of 1½″ (with included screws)
- 9 exterior screws (masonry and cinder block facades require appropriate screws and anchors)
1. Have wood cut at a hardware store: one 6′ x 2 3/8″ x 1″ board; one 6′ x 10½″ x 1″ board; and three 10″ x 2½″ x ¾″ vertical buttresses.
2. Paint each piece of wood with exterior primer and let dry. Then paint with latex paint and let dry.
3. Assemble the under-mount by connecting the 6′ x 2 3/8″ board to the back of 6′ x 10½″ board using drill and 6′ hinge.
4. Glue vertical buttresses to bottom of smaller board. Place one in the center and others 3¾″ in from each end.
5. Drill 2 screws into smaller plank and each buttress from above. (Pre-drill holes to prevent wood from splitting.)
6. Connect brackets to buttresses using 10″ hinges and drill.
7. Attach under-mount to house using exterior screws, placing 3 on each buttress.