This handy dandy surface folds out from the wall when you need it and disappears when you don’t. Perfect for entertaining, use as a sideboard for potlucks or as a bar.
- 5 pieces of wood recommended for outdoor use (such as cedar)
- Exterior primer
- Exterior latex paint
- One 6′ piano hinge (with included screws)
- Exterior-grade wood glue
- 3 shelf brackets (with any top nubs removed)
- 3 10″ piano hinges with an open width of 1½″ (with included screws)
- 9 exterior screws (masonry and cinder block facades require appropriate screws and anchors)
1. Have wood cut at a hardware store: one 6′ x 2 3/8″ x 1″ board; one 6′ x 10½″ x 1″ board; and three 10″ x 2½″ x ¾″ vertical buttresses.
2. Paint each piece of wood with exterior primer and let dry. Then paint with latex paint and let dry.
3. Assemble the under-mount by connecting the 6′ x 2 3/8″ board to the back of 6′ x 10½″ board using drill and 6′ hinge.
4. Glue vertical buttresses to bottom of smaller board. Place one in the center and others 3¾″ in from each end.
5. Drill 2 screws into smaller plank and each buttress from above. (Pre-drill holes to prevent wood from splitting.)
6. Connect brackets to buttresses using 10″ hinges and drill.
7. Attach under-mount to house using exterior screws, placing 3 on each buttress.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!