It’s tradition to send Mom flowers on Mother’s Day. This year, give her a spring and summer full of blooms with these last-minute gardening gift ideas.
5 gift ideas for the gardening mom:
- A good, solid pair of bypass pruners makes easy work of trimming branches and tough plant stems. Prices range from $15 to $30.
- Every vegetable gardener needs a pair of garden shears. These durable scissors give clean cuts to plant stems and come apart for easy cleaning.
- Gloves get a workout in the garden and gardeners can never have too many. Look for a waterproof pair.
- Pick up some seed packets and a terra cotta pot, add garden tools like a hand cultivator and trowel, and top it off with a Home Depot gift card and a pretty bow.
- After the traditional breakfast (or brunch) in bed, present Mom with a gift card then head to Home Depot to fill a garden cart with bedding plants and hanging baskets.
As Mother’s Day draws near, remember that with a Home Depot gift card and expert advice from the Garden Club, you will make Mom’s day bloom.
4 Garden Club Projects for Mother’s Day:
- The floral hurricane planter can be made with just $30 worth of materials. This is a great project for kids to create, and depending on how you decide to decorate the terra cotta pot, it can be completed in an afternoon.
- This lovely dish garden can be created for as little as $25. Follow the step-by-step instructions for a pretty dish garden filled with anthurium and African violets.
- Is Mom a birdwatcher, too? With some DIY know-how, you can create our Garden Club birdhouse planter and fill it with warm-weather blooms like impatiens, begonias, petunias and vinca. Order a birdhouse online and have it shipped for free to your local store. It will be ready for you when you arrive. Build a tray of pressure-treated lumber, add the birdhouse and some seasonal blooms, and wait for the birds to visit their new garden. Total cost for the project is about $60.
- Put together a whiskey barrel planter and fill it out with lush flowers. Total cost for the whiskey barrel planter is about $70, depending on the plants used.