This summer, rely on your garden and Garden Center to keep you cool on the hottest days.
Find relief with these timely ideas for cooling off:
1. Water features. The trickling and splashing of water are naturally cooling. Seek out sources like gardens and pools, and dream up your own water feature, even if it’s a tabletop fountain.
2.Watermelon. Keep ripe watermelon chilled in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. And when you are ready, make up a pitcher of watermelon agua fresca. Puree chunks of seeded watermelon with lime juice, sugar and water for a refreshing taste of summer.
3. Patio umbrella. By the pool or on the porch, an umbrella provides welcome shade from the hot sun. This Hampton Bay offset umbrella will cast a long shadow and allow whatever breeze there is to find you.
4. Find a shade garden. The soothing blues and greens of hostas and their companion plants will bring your inner temperature down. If you have the spot for it, make plans to install your own shade garden with hostas when the temps start to drop in fall.
5. Plant from a cool palette, even if your location is sun-rich. Blue and white, like these hydrangeas and daisies, work together to provide soothing visual relief. Get color-themed plant inspiration.
6. Personal mister. Carry a hard-working personal mister to keep you cool all day. The Home Depot has a wide variety of personal misting products, like the Arctic Cove Personal Misting Bottle. This little lifesaver pumps misty relief during the hottest summer days.