Humble mulch is not just a staple, it’s the quiet workhorse of the garden. Mulch helps plants in numerous ways, including keeping them healthier over the long term. Check out these five things you need to know about this garden standard.
1. Prevents weeds. Cut down on the weeding work you typically have to do in your garden by putting down mulch. It prevents weeds. Find out how much you’ll need for your garden using our Mulch Calculator.
2. Provides earthworms a home. You can’t have too many earthworms in the garden as they bring nutrients. Mulch encourages earthworms to move in.
3. Protects against elements. Mulch keeps plants warm in cooler temperatures and cooler in warmer temperatures. Just avoid piling mulch against trunks of trees or stems of plants.
4. Retains water. Mulch helps shrubs, trees and garden beds retain moisture and that means you’ll save water.
5. Brings nutrients. As mulch biodegrades, it brings nutrition to your plants. As a result, your plants will be healthier.
6. Prevents erosion. When you put down mulch, its weight works as excellent erosion control. Find out about the types of mulch in our buying guide.