Adding color to your home during the dark days of winter is a sure way to brighten your mood. Besides adding warmth and texture to the home, houseplants also improve air quality and have been scientifically proven to reduce stress and increase productivity.
Tip: Place your plants in a spot where you will see them on a regular basis. That way you’ll be able to enjoy them to the fullest and notice immediately if there are any problems. Remember: overwatering is the number one cause of houseplant death.
6 Flowers to Add Color Indoors this Winter
1. Amaryllis. A popular gift item for the holidays, amaryllis bulbs are one of the easiest to bring to bloom and certainly one of the most beautiful. They look stunning in any setting and come in various shades of red, white, pink, salmon and orange.
2. Christmas Cactus. This resilient grower bursts into bloom when the days are short. You can find this beauty in a wide variety of colors — including pink, red, scarlet, orange, gold, cream and white. As one of the easiest to care for and most colorful houseplants, it’s something of an heirloom for many families as it is passed down from one generation to the next.
3. Orchid. Elegant and sophisticated, orchid blooms can last for months. They come in a wide range of colors and are very low maintenance. They make fantastic houseplants, even for beginners.
4. Anthurium. This show-stopping plant blooms on and off all year and has an exotic flair. Anthurium’s glossy heart-shaped leaves and tropical-looking flowers add a touch of romance to any room.
5. Bromeliad. If your decor is contemporary and modern, bromeliads are the plants for you. These tropical and exotic plants have colorful long-lasting blooms that contrast nicely with their bold green leaves. You can find them in shades of pink, red, yellow and orange.
6. Peace Lily. The peace lily is one of the most popular houseplants since it fits well into just about every interior style. It’s also one of the most efficient plants for filtering indoor pollutants from the air, making it a great choice for your bedroom.