Outdoor walkways do more than just set the path. They impact the style of your garden, define spaces and create borders. Your garden pathway can be elegant, informal or simplistic – it all depends on the materials you use. No matter what design you choose, your walkway should stand the test of time.
The five best materials to create a durable, long-lasting garden path:
1. Landscaping rocks. From smooth pebbles to rugged gravel, landscaping rocks create an affordable, casual walkway that will last for years. To keep weeds from popping up, first install landscape fabric, such as Vigoro Matrix Grid. To keep rocks in place, add a border or edging.
2. Pavers. Available in many different materials and colors, pavers are made for walkways. Achieve the expensive look of stone for a fraction of the price. Plus, these paths are incredibly durable, even in high-traffic areas.
3. Stepping stones. Stepping stones add a personal touch to your garden that will last a long time. Stones lack uniformity, creating a natural look in the landscape. Since stones are easy to maneuver, you can experiment with the path layout before installing.
4. Brick. Formal and timeless, brick pathways instantly elevate your garden. Once laid, brick walkways need minimal maintenance. Install using pavers or create a mortared path, and don’t be afraid to try a pattern or design.
5. Concrete. Create a custom path using the least expensive material, concrete. Whether smooth and curved or intricate and stamped, concrete walkways can look sophisticated. Concrete also withstands years of heavy use.