Sometimes the only way to fully express your enthusiasm for the season is to erect a bold, colorful monument to the holidays. Inflatable decorations make it easy for homeowners to turn their front yards into elaborate displays of their holiday spirit. If you’re looking to decorate your landscape with Christmas inflatables, the following tips will help you avoid some common frustrations.
- Especially if you intend to create a tableau using multiple decorations, it’s a good idea to start out by measuring off your available space and planning where each piece will go. To keep your landscape from looking overcrowded, pick inflatables that will fit comfortably in the available space, without rubbing up against one another or altogether blocking the view.
- Choose your placement carefully. Low-hanging branches can snag and tear the fabric shell of an inflatable. As a stiff wind can sometimes cause an inflatable to totter, you’ll also want to provide adequate clearance around the decoration, making sure there are no breakables or sharp objects nearby.
- To ensure smooth inflation, position the base of the inflatable where you want it to stand in your landscape, spreading the fabric flat on the ground before it to keep it from kinking or snagging while it fills with air. Tightly close any zippers, fasteners or vents to keep air from escaping while in use.
- Like the snowman pictured above, most inflatables are equipped with an air intake at the bottom. This is basically a fan that forces air into the fabric shell, so it’s important to keep that intake clear of obstructions. In particular, be careful to keep the decoration’s own fabric spread away from the intake side of the fan while inflating.
- Once the piece is inflated, use any included tethers to stake it into position. Taking care to anchor your decorations will help keep them grounded in case of strong winds.
Got questions about this article or any other garden topic? Go here now to post your gardening ideas, questions, kudos or complaints. We have gardening experts standing by to help you!