New year, new garden. Gardens, just like fashion, change every year based on the hottest new trends. From popular colors to new garden designs, see what garden trend fits your style this year.
Below are the top five garden trends for 2016.
1. Plant for pollinators. This earth-friendly trend uses flowers and products that are safe for pollinators and wildlife. Provide shelter, go organic, and plant native flowers with lots of pollen. If you’re still not sure what to pick, ask a Garden Center associate or let the bees be your guide!
2. Glowing garden accessories. Spend more time outside by using luminescent lighting after dark. Create an unforgettable nighttime experience by adding LED garden planters, unique landscape lights and rope lighting along swing sets.
3. Water-saving gardens. Because of limited rainfall and water restrictions, gardeners need to conserve water. Swap thirsty plants with low-water and native varieties. Fill your landscape with succulents, ornamental grasses and a dry creek bed.
4. Backyards go bold. Gardens this year will be accented with bold and colorful flowers and accessories. Achieve the perfect color balance by pairing intense colors with creamy whites. Decorate your patio with vibrant outdoor rugs, pillows and accents in eye-catching patterns. Take it to the next level with ornate lighting and colorful containers.
5. Healthy greens. Edible gardens encourage healthy eating. Plant a garden full of nutritious choices that you love to eat, such as kale and blueberries. Get the whole family involved by starting herbs indoors in winter and incorporating them into cooking.