Get more mileage out of your herb garden with these five ideas for enjoying their intense fragrances and flavors.
1. Plant hardy, fragrant herbs like rosemary and lavender close to your home or driveway so you can brush past them and enjoy the fragrance. Keep your garden scissors or pruning snips handy to bring branches inside for cooking.
2. Dried lavender makes lovely sachets. To help speed up the process, check out this Easy DIY Herb Drying Rack project.
3. Use mint and more to make herbal salts and sugars. See How to Preserve and Use Your Herbal Harvest for instructions.
4. Snip leaves of sage and dill and make herb butters to flavor meats, fish and vegetables. Trim basil regularly and whiz up batches of pesto, ready for the freezer. See more ideas in our story, What To Do with Your Extra Garden Vegetables.
5. Enjoy the blooming beauty of herbs by gathering sprigs and bringing them inside. Place them in vases on their own, or tuck stems inside cut flower displays.
For more quick ideas, check out these lists: